Well since I can't get 2010 back I guess I will make the best of 2011.
Some days I would love to be able to sit and craft all day. Today is one of those days. But unfortunately I have clean this house !!
No one ever tells you that when you grow up all you will do is clean ! I wish I had a maid. I swear I clean something up and either Lanae or the Dogs destroy it 2 min later. Why does it seem that everyone else has it all together. How does a mother balance everything! I wish I had all the answers.
The last part of 2010 was really hard for this Campbell family.
While in Indiana for Christmas Lanae, Matt and my Dad got sick with the stomach flu. Then on the day before we were going to start driving home. Leo our 8 year old great Dane got bloat. Bloat is when the Stomach fills with hair and then turns upside down and the air cannot get out and the blood supply is cut off to the stomach and other organs.
The house sitter came home on her lunch to find Leo in his Kennel in pain and lethargic. When Great Danes get bloat you have to catch it quick or they will pass away. If our dog sitter would have not came on her lunch Leo would have been dead by that evening or sooner.
The house sitter knew the signs of bloat and called us and rushed Leo to the ER vet.
Being in Indiana and feeling helpless we packed up the car and said our goodbyes and headed toward Colorado. Hoping and praying Leo would make it through the surgery to correct the bloat we got on the Highway. The vet called 2 hours later and said Leo made it through surgery with flying colors. Now we were just in a waiting game to see if the pain had caused to much stress on his heart. The vet explained to us that once through surgery allot of dogs pass because of the stress put on their hearts during the pain of the bloat. Leo's Heart beat was doing well so far.
We continued to drive and pray. We then got a call about 4 hours later saying that Leo was doing OK but bleeding internally. So the vets then took him back into surgery to find the bleeding. We then get a call saying he had made it through the 2nd surgery!! LEO IS A FIGHTER. By this time we were able to relax a little know that Leo's heart was doing well and the bleeding was ok. The next morning the vet called us and said that Leo was still bleeding but it was allot less than before surgery. They were keeping an eye on the bleed and also running tests to find out why Leo was not clotting like he should.
Blood Test came back normal. No clotting disorder. But he did have low platelets so they gave him plasma in hopes to increase his plasma. We were still on the Road but we were getting closer to Colorado. The plasma would take 24 hours to work. Besides the bleeding Leo was doing well.
We got to Colorado and went straight to the ER vet to see Leo. We were all so happy to see him alive we all cried. He was so happy to see us. During the whole time in the vet his blood pressure was high, and even though he had not stopped bleeding they still were going to let him go home on Sunday which was the next day. They were hoping that once at home the blood pressure would lower and the bleeding would stop.
With insructions on how to change bandages every 6 hours he came home on Sunday. He slept allot and just relaxed on the couch. Within 8 hours of being home the bleeding had slowed almost to a stop. :) The vet was so happy. Leo was out of the woods.
For the next 2 weeks I changed bandages every 4-6 hours and every time the fluid from the drains got less and less. Leo got his staples out last Friday and he back to his normal self. I AM SO THANKFUL TO HAVE MY LEO WITH US. HE IS AN AMAZING DOG.
Crockpot Cowboy Casserole
6 days ago

1 comment:
Wow, what a crazy ordeal! I'm so glad that Leo is okay. You have such sweet dogs.
And you clean more than anyone else! I want to know you cleaning schedule. I have one that's weekly, but I don't ever do all of the deep cleaning stuff like I should, so I'm very curious :)
Post a Comment